Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Potty Mouth

Matthew 15:11: "Not that which goeth into the mouth defileth a man; but that which cometh out of the mouth, this defileth a man."

What is profanity? The word profane literally means “outside the temple.”

 
I admit it.  I curse sometimes. It's in the heat of the moment, usually when I've had it up to here (hand over my head).  I feel bad about it the moment it leaves my mouth.

Not naming any names, but I am around someone on an almost daily basis that has a neverending flow of curse words.  I cringe.  Its horrible, its dirty, its vulgar, its so uuuhhhh!  I once gave this person a challenge to go a whole day without cursing. Did it work,....nope! 

Swearing and cursing are a problem in my life sometimes and of those around me, so I ask the Lord to forgive me and deliver me so that my words may be good and loving words full of grace and truth. I know He will help me overcome this problem through His power.


Psalm 19:14: "Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer."

There is actually a wedsite on how to stop cursing!  MAYBE...this someone will read this today.  I really hope so....

Instructions   (from ehow.com)


    • 1
      Think before you speak and refrain from using curse words. It may seem difficult, but monitoring your thoughts will help you catch yourself from saying something vulgar and offensive. It will take practice, but thinking before you speak is essential if you want to stop cursing.
    • 2
      Practice meditation. One form of meditation is prayer. Other forms of meditation include yoga, falun gong or continued thought and reflection. Meditation is usually done in a quiet place. Take a moment to reflect.
    • 3
      Keep your mouth shut. As difficult as it may seem, silence works. Practicing silence shows that you are in control of yourself and your emotions. Many people have a problem in this area. They tend to rant and rave as soon as a situation arises. With a little bit of practice and self-control, you can learn to listen to what someone is saying or analyze a situation without cursing.
    • 4
      Use a thesaurus. If you are seriously trying to stop your habit of cursing, be proactive in choosing your words. Various thesaurus websites are available to guide you in the use of words that can better describe your feelings.
    • 5
      Put money in a jar every time you curse for extra motivation. This money must be given away to charity, and it must be taken away from you for it to be motivation. Put a dollar in the jar for every curse word you say. You'll be amazed at how fast you stop cursing.


No comments: