Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Anger


Anger is defined as aversion with stronger exaggeration.  

We all know that anger and aggression give rise to anger and aggression. One could say that there are three ways to get rid of anger: kill the opponent, kill yourself or kill the anger - which one makes most sense to you?"

I love these quotes about anger.

Unknown - Sticks and stones may break your bones when there's anger to inpart. Spiteful words can hurt your feelings but it’a silence that breaks the heart.
Clarendon - Anger is the most impotent passion that accompanies the mind of man; it effects nothing it goes about; and hurts the man who is possessed by it more than any other against whom it is directed.
Helen Douglas - Character isn't inherited. One builds it daily by the way one thinks and acts, thought by thought, action by action. If one lets fear or hate or anger take possession of the mind, they become self-forged chains.
Buddha - Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned.
Marcus Antonius - Consider how much more you often suffer from your anger and grief, than from those very things for which you are angry and grieved.
Elizabeth Kenny - He who angers you conquers you.
Chinese Proverb - If you are patient in one moment of anger, you will escape a hundred days of sorrow.
Golda Meir - You cannot shake hands with a clenched fist.
Leo Buscaglia - Don't hold to anger, hurt or pain. They steal your energy and keep you from love.

Booker T. Washington - I will permit no man to narrow and degrade my soul by making me hate him.

I have been guilty of holding on to anger before.   I have said some harsh things while I was angry.  But I soon realize that only I am being affected by my ability to not forgive and so I let it go.  The words I spoke while angry may never be taken back but  if I appologize and ask that person for forgiveness, it's almost like it never happened.

 Thank you Lord for the forgiving people I have in my life.  Thank you for allowing me realize my mistakes.  I am so glad you accept me as I am and that my family does too. Amen.

1 comment:

Alexandrann said...

good post. love the quotes!